PEACE ON EARTH

GOODWILL TOWARD ALL MEN, WOMEN AND CHILDREN, BORN AND UNBORN

Monday, September 10, 2007

Yes, Seth, We Can Do Better**

This Just In From Senator Bob Casey

Dear Cynthia,

After recently returning from a trip to Iraq, I am more convinced than ever of the need to transition the mission in Iraq and change the Bush policy.
In February, I voted against President Bush's decision to send more U.S. troops to Iraq.
Seven months later, the signs are clear that the Bush troop surge did not achieve its goal of buying time for the Iraqis to get their country in order. While in Iraq, I met with troops and U.S. officials including General David Petraeus and Ambassador Ryan Crocker as well as top Iraqi leaders. The troops I met were in the Green Zone and at a forward patrol base. Their bravery and commitment was inspiring.
Unfortunately, I had a very different impression of the Iraqi officials. They demonstrated no sense of urgency to undertake the political reforms that are needed to stabilize Iraq. Even as their country is torn apart by civil war and, as I write this email, 3,754 American troops including 175 Pennsylvanians have lost their lives, the Iraqi government has not stepped up to take control of their country. While in Iraq, the security problems are clear to see. Baghdad is a city of massive concrete barriers erected to restrict access of suicide bombers.
The streets were too dangerous to travel on so we were transported by helicopter that flew close to the ground and very fast to avoid missile attacks. And while I was at a patrol base, one of my meetings was punctuated by the sound and explosion of a rocket landing a few hundred yards away. Assessments of the progress in Iraq have been grim. The Bush administration's own assessment in the National Intelligence Estimate says that al Qaeda has regained strength to pre-9/11 levels. And governmental reports give failing grades to progress by our own Department of Homeland Security to improve security at home and to progress by the Iraqis on key military, political and diplomatic objectives. My trip to Iraq and these reports have redoubled my resolve and the sense of urgency to change our policy in Iraq.
As a member of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, you can be assured that I will continue to press the Bush administration and General Petraeus in upcoming hearings. And I will continue to urge my Republican colleagues to join me to pass legislation to change the Bush policy in Iraq.

Sincerely, Bob Casey

**The title responds to the closing comment in the Movie "No End In Sight" that everyone needs to see in which a Marine Seth asks not-too-rhetorically (paraphrased)- Do you mean we can't do better than this? Don't tell the Marines who fought in Fallujiah that. Don't tell the Marines still there that. Don't tell me we can't do better. That makes me angry.

No comments: