PEACE ON EARTH

GOODWILL TOWARD ALL MEN, WOMEN AND CHILDREN, BORN AND UNBORN

Friday, October 29, 2010

Verily Verily Truly Truly

I Tell You The Truth.



Ever notice how when Jesus is talking in scripture there are a lot of "verily verily" or "truly truly" I say to you's ('youse' for those pittsburghers).

Is that just fancy talk flourishing like Jesus is trying to sound victorian or elizabethan?

No- the movie the Gospel of John (http://www.gospelofjohnthemove.com/ ) makes clear that what Jesus was saying was basically- Listen people- I am telling you the truth.

Then more earnestly- I AM TELLING YOU THE TRUTH. What I am saying is True. It's all true people.



Things like- unless you eat of my flesh and drink of my blood you will have no life within you. -more than half the people just walked off set muttering essentially- you must be nuts.



Subtextually (and overtly sometimes) you can hear what is prompting this incessant repetition of "Verily Verily, Truly Truly..."- the peanut gallery chiming in from the sidelines things like 'you have to be kidding me!" "Are you mad, man?" "That sounds nuts!" or "no way Hose, Hejus" No, really. What I am telling you is true. If you follow me, do what I say (my 'commandments') eat of my flesh and drink my blood, you will live forever- Moses led people to manna in the desert and those who ate the manna eventually died. But if you eat my flesh and drink my blood, you will live forever. It is of such a kind .

What- are you nuts? they said. C'mon man, that's a hard one!

So he kept saying - I am telling you the truth. Listen to me, I am telling you the truth.

Any good editor might say-delete delete, its a bit repetitious. We get the point, We heard you the first time. But no, they didn't edit all the times out- because the point is that it had to be repeated over and over because the doubt was so fierce. Who on earth will believe this.



God is Spirit- a Spirit of TRUTH. The naysaying voices got louder- and eventually won a brief day in proclaiming loudly not just 'are you nuts!' but "Blasphemy!" Then those crying blasphemy, those nattering nabobs of negativity --they demanded he be killed off. Because nattering nabobs of negativity always veer toward destruction and death- they are they Knights Who Go Knigt!
Then the Knights Who Go Knigt- they have to have their way and make everyone affirm that they are right- so they enscript all the spiritual hierarchy to declare proudly and loudly --Blasphemy!! Kill Him!!
And they did-they launched a campaign that would make the RNC look like a kids playground. They chased those people declaring this love to the ends of the Roman Empire and the earth to expel them from the synagogues, banned them from churches and buses, and killed them off. They had to go into hiding- underground, in the catecombs.
Paul, the Apostle was one such character commissioned to do this- like a pharisaical hit man. He was only one of the Knights that Go Knigt.

Maybe some of them heard him once, maybe some of them heart that he couldn't stop saying it. Verily Verily, Truly Truly.
I am telling you the truth. I love you.

www.GOSPELOFJOHNTHEMOVIE.com



Get it -it's a three hour movie and worth cancelling everything else in your schedule. You can find it at Potomac Adventist Book and Health in the mall up 29North on the way to Columbia on Cherry Hill Road.

No comments: