PEACE ON EARTH

GOODWILL TOWARD ALL MEN, WOMEN AND CHILDREN, BORN AND UNBORN

Thursday, June 10, 2010

The Difference Between

Necessary and Sufficient.

For me to be a lawyer I had to first graduate from law school in which I had to pass exams for three years. Then I had to take a Bar examination. I was thereafter reviewed by a committee of some kind- and got a nice letter. Before I could do any of that I had to get up each day and eat a sufficient amount of food so I would be alert in class and not fall asleep, and give my body enough nutrition to walk to class.

The food I eat was necessary to be a lawyer but it was not sufficient. There was a world of other things I had to do to get admitted.

If your goal is heaven, the Eucharist is a necessary but not a sufficient predicate.
LOVE is the Bar Examination. If you flunk that--if your heart doesn't know how to forgive your worst enemies, if you don't know how to escape your need for petty ego gratification at the expense of serving others, you won't be admitted to heaven.

There will be many who will call "Lord Lord" and I will say, get away from me, I don't know you. Some of those people will be clerics. The worst offenders will be those who capitalized for their own gain on his name.

Jesus is very clear about what he requires. Look at Matthew 25. You must do tangible things to demonstrate your com (with) passion -passion for others. Feeding, clothing, housing, giving drink, healing the sick, comforting the afflicted, etc.... You must engage.

The Eucharist alone is not sufficient. It is only the spiritual nutrition that will get the horse to water. Drinking of the Life of Christ means a world of additional action.

No comments: