PEACE ON EARTH

GOODWILL TOWARD ALL MEN, WOMEN AND CHILDREN, BORN AND UNBORN

Thursday, February 09, 2012

The US Constitution

And Your Idea of Evil

I believe it is wrong and evil to gratutiously go out for sport and hunt down and kill innocent animals by shooting them up in the woods. You don't need them for food, you call it 'sport.' I would no more think that should be permitted in any household than if you shot your dog. I find it abhorent. I find guns abhorent-
But we have a second amendment to the Constitution. The beauty of the country is that I get to have my opinion in my household and you get to have your right to 'bear arms' under current constitutional law protected. The general norm in society at large is not what it is for individual cultures within that society. All Vegans would find that morally abhorent.
All things permissible are not all wise or good.
The church has a subculture within the larger society. The subculture has norms and standards and ethical guidelines which are not those of society at large.
The same is said on the gay marriage debate. The catholic church and conservative evangelicals don't believe it moral or proper. Fine. Don't have it in your subculture or church. I don't shoot animals in my yard. Other people like to shoot deer in the woods. I find that disgusting, and you find gay marriage disgusting. So what. Don't marry a gay person then.
Are you allowed to lobby to try to make your countercultural norms the prevelant law? Sure, but shouldn't you ask everyone in the house whether they think people should be allowed to kill deer in the woods if they want to before you spend their money fighting it? (and by that I don't mean to put any moral judgment on gay marriage- )

No comments: