PEACE ON EARTH

GOODWILL TOWARD ALL MEN, WOMEN AND CHILDREN, BORN AND UNBORN

Thursday, April 08, 2010

A Rare and Beautiful Day

Thank You to those Presbyterian Singers at Western Pres

In my typical ecumenical spirit, I try to hit a variety of Churches each Sunday, catholic and protestant. I have mixed heritage and am comfortable everywhere as a result which I consider a blessing while more narrow minded folks can't quite understand it and probably deem me heretical in all directions. Nevertheless.....

This past Sunday I went to a church that has a remarkably lot of former Catholics in the congregation- more times than I can count people told me "I used to go to Catholic church but now I go here" - Western Presbyterian Church. I haven't given up totally on them- so I do both Catholic and Protestant. My mother is Presbyterian and I was first confirmed Presbyterian. So sue me.

The Easter Service was particularly beautiful because aside from the amazing array of Easter lilies given by the Congregation in remembrance of loved ones, the music was off the hook spectacular. It might be because they are so close to the Kennedy Center that half the Congregation knew by heart Handel's Messiah's Hallelujah chorus which the entire congregation sang with gusto, or may just be because of that peculiarly intense Presbyterian understanding of music as worship that the congregation really felt Saint Augustine's "singing is praying twice" this Easter. Let me tell you that there are few things more uplifting than an entire congregations belting out by heart Handel's Messiah's Hallelujah Chorus like they meant it.
The Lord God Omnipotent Reigneth.
And We Aren't Kidding.

No comments: