PEACE ON EARTH

GOODWILL TOWARD ALL MEN, WOMEN AND CHILDREN, BORN AND UNBORN

Friday, May 14, 2010

Blind Dates From Hell

And Other Reasons "Middle Aged" Women Are Single.

I can't turn on the news or the blogosphere where this persistent meme about a US Supreme Court Justice nominee's sexual preferences aren't discussed and the "why on earth isn't she married yet" consternation. Annoying. Add to the chatter my over 70 very Republican uncle who says unnamed friends in Cambridge affirm she's gay, but so what. He doesn't care, so why should anyone else in the world.
The Washington Post recent article bemoans the fact that women over a certain age have less choices and she was just a bit too smarty pants threatening to men. Men don't like it when women excel in paycheck and position, the argument goes. How about this one: smart women don't like hanging with dumb men either.

I am going to do a little experiment in the name of advancing the cause of women pushing 50. I am roughly the same age as Kagan. The only remotely gay experience I ever had was when my seventh grade BFF sprouted enormous boobs and they looked so funny I asked to touch them-she declined- there went my first and only gay experience.
I don't look gay, while I too could stand to lose a few pounds. The same uncle declares "one can never be too rich or too thin." I am average height, about 5'6", a standard size 12 but will drop poundage if we move to warmer climbs (and I am hoping for California or Italy or both)
So I am going to see if I can get a serious blind date of someone interested in marriage. This is a blind date because my picture does not appear anywhere here so you are just going to have to take my word for it that I don't have buck teeth and an eye in the middle of my forehead. Here is also the kicker: I am not going to have sex with you. I have morals and if I decide I don't want to marry you, you aren't getting any because I am old fashioned that way.
I am still going to make you pay for dinner though, because I am testing how good a provider you could be, but you are not going to end up in the sac. Now who wants a date. Still wondering why anyone our age is still single?

But I am serious. I have long ago resigned to the fact that if a guy didn't like those rules I was going to end up a happy spinster. I had it the other way and learned to be a bit more discriminating in my approach (my uncle thinks the family is going to hell)

So if you are interested in paying for dinner, polite conversation with the erstwhile blogger who doubles as a lawyer, and don't care if all you get is fun conversation, good company, and a dinner bill, email me at HaveMercyOnUs [at]aol.com and put "blind date" in the subject line with a photo and I promise to respond (after a few questions that satisfy me that you are not a serial killer or mugger.) The last blind date I had was a car insurance salesman who phone stalked me to three different addresses in two states for years using DMV records to track me down. Scary.
Oh, and my uncle prefers someone who is (a) a doctor (b) intellectually cultured and well travelled and (c) not darker than my freckles. But no pressure and exceptions are considered.

Are you getting now why there are so many single ladies out there my age?

No comments: