PEACE ON EARTH

GOODWILL TOWARD ALL MEN, WOMEN AND CHILDREN, BORN AND UNBORN

Thursday, November 25, 2010

I am Simon

I am Simon
with a nickname.
Petra in Greek or stone,
just the same. A pebble
next to the great Rock
Jesus, a follower not his
replacement please.
Apostle, disciple
a devotee, but Jesus
I am not on bended knee
I alone have no power to set
anyone free.
I am Simon
with a nickname
Peter to some nations
but at home my wife
calls me to supper
and makes me do dishes
and her mother fell ill
my mother-in-law
and alone I had no power at all
to cure her cranky tiredness
as she lay distressed in my house.
Alone I was a frightened mess
so I called out to Jesus
who raises the dead
and cures all diseases
wherever they spread.
Because only with Jesus
are we raised from the dead.
I am but Simon
a fisherman,
a married man.

No comments: