PEACE ON EARTH

GOODWILL TOWARD ALL MEN, WOMEN AND CHILDREN, BORN AND UNBORN

Friday, November 19, 2010

OC-DC

Not a Place You Want to Live.

I know someone who is an over the top 'perfectionist' to a point of completely defeating her purposes some times. (names are changed to protect the innocent)
This drive has served her well in some part and there is some pay off for it but in other areas it has sabotagued her. Let's call her Cathy (like the cartoon character)

She wanted her nails done. I said- I can do nails- I do my own french manicure. I do lots of other people's nails-folks in nursing homes love it. I also do haircuts for homeless folks for free. Great. I started. When you do nails there is a part of the time that it gets slightly messy and you have to wipe up around the edges to complete the picture -otherwise it can look sloppy. If you quit in the middle and don't wipe the edges it looks a mess.

Cathy looked at the middle and freaked out. Oh my God~! That's not how you do it!! She was actually throwing a fit. I said, wait, calm down, it's not done yet. She grabbed the nail polish and said- that's not how you do it!! Let me show you how it has to be done- and she did my nails!

What was the result. I got my nails done- Cathy threw a fit, and didn't get hers done. Hers were a mess because she quit in the middle and didn't trust that the end would come out well if she just had patience to watch the clean up around the edges. I call her OC-DC. That's a combination of a mental disorder (OCD- obsessive compulsive disorder) and a frenetic crazy rock band.

People who have real families know it gets messy in the middle. The first year you have a baby to take care of you are in the throws of literally a crap-fest where you have to be vigilent about smelling for poopy diapers and changing them. You look at a lot of crap. But after the clean up around the edges- a few years later- you have a child that buys you father's day presents, calls you Daddy and sits on your lap and throws a football back at you.

The church is a little OC-DC. Everyone else is getting their nails done.

No comments: