PEACE ON EARTH

GOODWILL TOWARD ALL MEN, WOMEN AND CHILDREN, BORN AND UNBORN

Thursday, December 09, 2010

Keep DREAMING

DREAM ACT PASSES HOUSE- SENATE NOT SO SURE

http://mail.aol.com/32992-211/aol-1/en-us/Suite.aspx
I need to make a correction: if you are deemed "illegal" you cannot even serve in the military.
After competing admirably with your high school classmates- you may be a straight A student and fluent in five languages- but if you are 'illegal' then you may not ever get to college in America, get college loans or be eligible for the higher paid positions that education often brings.
Obviously the country would benefit from the larger pool of military eligible people- and obviously the tax revenue of people working at higher wage levels benefits the deficit reduction.

We don't penalize people for the sins of their fathers (and mothers)- If these kids were dragged here by their parents to survive we should not penalize them for their parents trying to feed them.

To those who think that this is a sort of 'amnesty' that only encourages sneaking across the border more, I say- yes, it is an amnesty that allows kids to be recognized as full citizens when they have acted like full citizens and met all the requirements- and that does not necessarily incentivize further sneakery because the incentives and motivations for sneakery over the border already exist abundantly in the form of violence and poverty where they came from .You think someone is sitting in their barrio in Hondorus or El Salvador thinking...gee, if I can only get to the US the Congress is going to years later make my children citizens of the US? No, they are thinking- if I can only get to the US my child will eat next week. I don't care if I have to hide out in a dumpster if I can get my child enough money to eat so they don't starve or so the state does not put them in a state run orphanage. They are not reading the Congressional register and doing projection analysis people.

No comments: