PEACE ON EARTH

GOODWILL TOWARD ALL MEN, WOMEN AND CHILDREN, BORN AND UNBORN

Friday, December 17, 2010

Unto Us Is Born.......

I love this holiday email from Marian Wright Edelman at the Children's Defense Fund, so in the spirit of the season, I here share:


As those of us who are Christian celebrate a poor, homeless child threatened by Herod’s violence which took the lives of innocent first born boys, let us commit to standing up and caring for the millions of children in our midst who are destitute, homeless, and hungry, and threatened by violence in our rich, powerful nation today.

A law enforcement officer is less likely to die from gun violence than a child under 10. Nine children and teens die from gun violence every day in our gun saturated nation. Let’s care and call for justice for the over 15.5 million poor children, millions living in extreme poverty and with daily food insecurity. It is time for all of us to do better: to reset our nation’s moral and economic compass to protect and invest in every child.

Let’s pray that we may commit to acting on God’s call through the prophet Zechariah “to see that justice is done, to show kindness and mercy to one another, not to oppress widows, orphans, foreigners, who live among you or anyone else in need” by joining together and serving and caring.

I Care And I Am Willing To Serve
Lord I cannot preach like Martin Luther King, Jr.or turn a poetic phrase like Maya Angelou
but I care and I am willing to serve.
I do not have Harriet Tubman’s courage
or Franklin Roosevelt’s political skills
but I care and I am willing to serve.
I cannot sing like Fannie Lou Hamer
or organize like Bayard Rustin
but I care and I am willing to serve.
I am not holy like Archbishop Desmond Tutu,
forgiving like Nelson Mandela,
or disciplined like Mahatma Gandhi
but I care and I am willing to serve.
I am not brilliant like Elizabeth Cady Stanton,
or as eloquent as Sojourner Truth and Booker T. Washington
but I care and I am willing to serve.
I have not Mother Teresa’s saintliness,
Dorothy Day’s love or
Cesar Chavez’s gentle tough spirit
but I care and I am willing to serve.

God it is not as easy as it used to be to frame an issue and to forge a solution
but I care and I am willing to serve.
I can’t see or hear well or speak good English,I stutter sometimes,
am afraid of criticism, and get real scared standing up before others
but I care and I am willing to serve.
I’m so young nobody will listen
I’m not sure what to say or dobut
I care and I am willing to serve.
Use me as Thou will today and tomorrow
to help build a nation and world where no
child is left behind and everyone feels
welcome and justly treated.


...or maybe I am....Merry Christmas to everyone at the Children's Defense Fund and especially Mrs. Marion Wright Edelman and her husband who makes I am sure lots possible.

No comments: